Laurel native finalist in Doritos Super Bowl XLVIII commercial - WDAM-TV 7-News, Weather, Sports-Hattiesburg, MS

Laurel native finalist in Doritos Super Bowl XLVIII commercial

LAUREL, MS (WDAM) -

On Sunday all eyes will be on Super Bowl XLVII. While many will be watching the Seahawks and the Broncos battling it out on the field, others will be battling it out during commercial breaks. This year Doritos held a “Crash the Super Bowl” contest allowing anyone to submit a Doritos commercial. Out of more than 5,000 submissions, they narrowed it down to five, one of the finalists includes Laurel native, Will Jennings. 

“One of our boys in the commercial is actually from there where you guys are at and so we just wanted to reach out to everyone who lives there in his hometown,” said Cowboy Kid commercial producer Amber Gill. 

Gill picked Jennings to play the older brother role during a casting call in Los Angeles.

“The minute we saw Will we knew that he was special, that he had exactly what we were looking for,” said Gill. “We were just thrilled to have him on this shoot.”

The five commercial finalists went through a voting process that ended Wednesday. In the end, two finalists will air nation-wide, one chosen by Doritos and the other commercial chosen by most votes.

“Now we go to the Super Bowl, all five of us will be sitting in a suite and we will be sitting there with a television screen watching the commercials in between the game waiting to see if our commercial airs,” said Gill. 

The commercial that received the most votes will also receive $1 million. Aside from that, the creators of both winning ads will receive the opportunity to work on the set of "Marvel's The Avengers: Age of Ultron".

“We have a team about thirty people that worked on Cowboy Kid and so the really cool thing about it, if we win we'll share it with all our friends,” said Gill. 

For now make sure to look out to see if Cowboy Kid makes it to the Super Bowl, and in case you were wondering, no animals were harmed during the production of the commercial.

“Our cowboy kid Kascee, the younger brother, he actually didn't ride the dog, it was all done through special effects,” said Gill. “We are huge animal lovers, we would never encourage anyone to do this at home by any means, it was just done on purpose to be over the top and fun and just for the Super Bowl.”

You can view all finalists commercials HERE.

Copyright 2014 WDAM. All rights reserved.

  • Local NewsLOCALMore>>

  • Sting leads to 4 arrests, stolen weapons from Hattiesburg car break-ins

    Sting leads to 4 arrests, stolen weapons from Hattiesburg car break-ins

    Thursday, April 19 2018 3:13 PM EDT2018-04-19 19:13:28 GMT
    Three men and a 16-year-old were arrested in the overnight sting.  Source: WDAM.Three men and a 16-year-old were arrested in the overnight sting. Source: WDAM.

    An overnight auto burglary sting lead to four arrests and several stolen weapons and electronics in Hattiesburg.

    More >>

    An overnight auto burglary sting lead to four arrests and several stolen weapons and electronics in Hattiesburg.

    More >>
  • Rite Aid will soon be no more in the Pine Belt

    Rite Aid will soon be no more in the Pine Belt

    Thursday, April 19 2018 2:13 PM EDT2018-04-19 18:13:00 GMT
    Forbes reported late last month that Walgreens finalized a deal with Rite Aid to purchase 1,932 of its stores in a $4.4 billion cash deal. (Photo source: WDAM)Forbes reported late last month that Walgreens finalized a deal with Rite Aid to purchase 1,932 of its stores in a $4.4 billion cash deal. (Photo source: WDAM)

    There were two Rite Aid stores in the Pine Belt at the start of 2018; one in Petal and one in Hattiesburg. Now, only the Petal location remains open, but it will soon close its doors for good, too.

    More >>

    There were two Rite Aid stores in the Pine Belt at the start of 2018; one in Petal and one in Hattiesburg. Now, only the Petal location remains open, but it will soon close its doors for good, too.

    More >>
  • UPDATE: Missing teen in George County found safe

    UPDATE: Missing teen in George County found safe

    Thursday, April 19 2018 12:19 PM EDT2018-04-19 16:19:12 GMT
    (Source: Facebook)(Source: Facebook)

    The search for a missing teenager in George County has ended. The 14-year-old boy was found safe shortly after 11 a.m., say authorities.

    More >>

    The search for a missing teenager in George County has ended. The 14-year-old boy was found safe shortly after 11 a.m., say authorities.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly