PETAL, MS (WDAM) - A Thursday night fire caused minor damage to the Petal Police Department.
Around 10:00 p.m. a dispatcher in the building smelled smoke and called for a patrol unit. When the unit arrived, he saw smoke coming from the attic area and called the fire department.
The Petal Fire department was quickly able to get the fire out and limit the damage to the two to three rooms on the west end of the building.
The fire is believed to have been started by an electrical short in the ceiling.
The building is closed until power can be restored. Police dispatch has been temporarily moved to the Forrest County Dispatch Center.