A Collins man lost his life Tuesday night after his home caught fire. Members of the Collins Fire Department arrived at 9:30 p.m. to extinguish a blaze on Magnolia Avenue in Collins.
Charles McLaurin, age 65, was dead inside the mobile home. Authorities determined the cause of death was smoke inhalation, and have declared the fire an accident.
McLaurin was found in the living room and was pronounced dead at the scene.
Collins Fire Chief John Pope said an improperly wired electrical heater caught fire, and then that fire spread to either drapes or carpet.
"There was a heater device that was wired-in utilizing an extension cord and was the cause of the fire," said Pope.
Pope said the fire was put out in about 30 minutes.
Copyright 2014 WDAM. All rights reserved.