Mississippi Voter ID cards now being issued

HATTIESBURG, MS (WDAM) - Circuit Clerks in approximately 15 counties in Mississippi are now issuing Voter ID cards.

Beginning with the Primary Election on June 3, 2014, individuals voting at the polls will be required to show a photo ID. Mississippians who do not have an acceptable photo ID can now qualify for a free Voter Identification card.

"If you're already have a form of ID then you cannot be issued this," said Forrest County Circuit Clerk Lou Ellen Adams.

According to the Secretary of State's office, any of the following types of photo ID's may be used on Election Day for voter identification purposes:

1.    A driver's license
2.    A photo ID card issued by a branch, department or entity of the State of Mississippi
3.    A U.S. passport
4.    A government employee identification card
5.    A firearms license
6.    A student photo ID issued by an accredited Mississippi university, college or community
7.    A U.S. military ID
8.    A tribal photo ID
9.    Any other photo ID issued by any branch, department, agency or entity of the United States government or any state government
10.    A Mississippi Voter Identification Card

"It's going to be very, very few people that actually need this," said Adams. "If they do need it then yes we're here to provide it for them, but most people already have a form that's acceptable."

If you do not have an acceptable photo ID you must take one of the following types of documents with you to your Circuit Clerk's office to get a voter ID: 

1.    Any expired but valid photo identity document having the voter's name and photograph issued by
the U.S. government or any U.S. state
       2.   A birth certificate or any other document with the voter's full legal name, date and place of birth
       3.     A Social Security card
       4.     A Medicare card
       5.     A Medicaid card
       6.    A Mississippi Voter Registration Card
       7.     Any of the following, as long as it includes the voter's name and current address:
• Utility bill issued within the preceding six (6) months
• Bank statement issued within the preceding six (6) months
• Paycheck issued within the preceding six (6) months
• Government check issued within the preceding six (6) months
• IRS Form W-2, Wages and Tax Statement issued within the current calendar year.

"If you don't have one or you think you don't have one maybe you can call me and we can see if you've got something that's acceptable," said Adams. 

For additional questions on photo ID requirements, click HERE.
Copyright 2014 WDAM. All rights reserved.