Four-unit apartment fire in Columbia leaves five displaced tenants

COLUMBIA, MS (WDAM) - A four-unit fire occurred at West Avenue Apartment Complex in Columbia on Monday afternoon. Three of the four units were occupied at the time but everyone made it out safely.

The fire started in one of the upstairs units and spread. The cause has not been officially determined but the blaze could have stemmed from a clothes dryer.

The Red Cross has provided a place to stay for the five displaced tenants that lost everything.

William Howarth, one of the apartment's tenants, has set up an account in his name at Citizens Bank in Columbia for donations.

"It will definitely go to good use because all of the people over here are hurting right now," said Mr. Howarth.

Copyright 2013 WDAM. All rights reserved.