Antonio Middleton (Source: Montgomery Police Dept.)
MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA) -
Nearly two years after Ricky Farris was gunned down on Montgomery's Otis Lane, a jury has returned a guilty verdict against the second suspect in his death.
District Attorney Daryl Bailey says a jury found 22-year-old Walter Miles guilty Tuesday on capital murder and attempted murder charges. Miles' brother, Antonio Middleton, was previously convicted for the same crimes in Dec. 2014.
Farris was killed in the 3200 block of Otis Lane just after midnight on Dec. 16, 2013. Another victim, Joshua Hopper, was injured in the shooting when Middleton and Miles shot into their moving vehicle. The investigation showed that the brothers were involved in a dispute with the victims over a stolen handgun when the shots were fired.
Miles' sentencing is set before Judge Eugene Reese on September 17, 2015. The DA's office says it will seek a life without parole sentence on the capital murder conviction and a life sentence on the attempted murder conviction. Middleton was sentenced to life in prison back in March 2015.
“This is yet another example of a violent criminal who decided to settle a conflict by using a gun," Bailey said. "Now one person is dead and another with permanent injuries and the criminal will now spend the rest of his life in prison. How many more people do I have to send to prison for the rest of their life, before the violent criminals get the message that this violence will not be tolerated in Montgomery?”
Farris' death marked Montgomery's 46th homicide of 2013.