A Jones County family of eight are homeless after a fire of unknown causes destroyed their home Tuesday afternoon.
"My heart dropped before I ever got here because I already knew it was mine," said Jayme Thornton, who is the mother of the children.
Thornton was picking her son up from school when her house erupted in flames. The initial call came in to the Southwest Jones Volunteer Fire Department around 1:35 p.m. Noone was at home at the time, and Thornton said she is thankful everyone- including pets- is safe.
"My little boy, he had a rough day," said Thornton of the effects of the fire. "He had a nightmare night before about burning in the house."
The family has been housed in a motel for the past few days with the help of Red Cross, but now that that time is up, Thornton is unsure of the family's next steps.
"We don't know," explained Thornton. "We're still thinking, trying to figure it out."
When we visited with the family Thursday afternoon, the insurance company had still not come to inspect, so what the family could salvage was still a mystery.
"I saw a few pictures on the entertainment center, but they said all the clothes and stuff, furniture, were all smoke damaged and water damaged," said Thornton.
If you would like to help the family with clothing or other necessary supplies, you may contact Thornton at (601)-319-4402 or her mother at (601)-270-9990.