Baby burned by hot cooking oil in Tempe - WDAM - TV 7 - News, Weather and Sports

Baby burned by hot cooking oil in Tempe

Posted: Updated:
TEMPE, AZ (CBS5) -

An 8-month-old baby was burned on her face and body when she pulled a skillet full of hot oil onto herself as her grandmother was cooking a meal, Tempe police said.

The girl was rushed to the hospital shortly after 1 p.m. with extremely severe burns.

The baby had pulled a cord attached to the skillet, causing the cookware to land on her, said Tempe police spokesman Sgt. Mike Pooley.

No other information about the accident was immediately available.

Pooley said he cautions families as they prepare their Thanksgiving meals to watch their children around cooking areas. 

"Although today was an extremely sad accident, it is an important reminder for us all to be aware of where our children are and to take the necessary precautions to prevent such accidents from happening," Pooley said.

Copyright 2013 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.