Officials: Fire from electric golf cart destroys Pike Road home - WDAM - TV 7 - News, Weather and Sports

Officials: Fire from electric golf cart destroys Pike Road home

Posted: Updated:
Cell phone video courtesy of Curtis Smith. Cell phone video courtesy of Curtis Smith.
  • Most ReadMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • A string of car burglaries linked by a manufacturer flaw

    A string of car burglaries linked by a manufacturer flaw

    Tuesday, August 26 2014 6:01 PM EDT2014-08-26 22:01:36 GMT
    It's something Johnson City Police said they've never seen before.Police said starting in late July there's been a string of car burglaries with GM SUVs.In the last month this has happened to seven in Johnson City, four in Bristol, and none so far in Kingsport.One local GM dealer, Tim Copenhaver, told me with the more recent models from 2007 up to 2014 it's easy to cut the power off from the outside. He said he suspects thieves are going up under the front right wheel and cutting the electric...More >>
    It's something Johnson City Police said they've never seen before.Police said starting in late July there's been a string of car burglaries with GM SUVs.In the last month this has happened to seven in Johnson City, four in Bristol, and none so far in Kingsport.One local GM dealer, Tim Copenhaver, told me with the more recent models from 2007 up to 2014 it's easy to cut the power off from the outside. He said he suspects thieves are going up under the front right wheel and cutting the electric...More >>
  • Baby in critical condition after being left in trash can

    Baby in critical condition after being left in trash can

    Wednesday, August 27 2014 2:43 AM EDT2014-08-27 06:43:08 GMT

    Neighbors found the infant Tuesday, after hearing a sound coming from their trash can. 

    More >>

    Neighbors found the infant Tuesday, after hearing a sound coming from their trash can. 

    More >>
  • FL mother: 911 didn't help baby locked in hot car

    FL mother: 911 didn't help baby locked in hot car

    Tuesday, August 26 2014 6:17 PM EDT2014-08-26 22:17:20 GMT

    A 10-month-old accidentally locked himself inside a hot car, and his mom says a 911 dispatcher didn't immediately send help.

    More >>

    A 10-month-old accidentally locked himself inside a hot car, and his mom says a 911 dispatcher didn't immediately send help.

    More >>
PIKE ROAD, AL (WSFA) -

Authorities were called to the scene of a fire Thursday morning but were unable to save the home on Black Cherry Trail in Pike Road.

A neighbor, Curtis Smith, recorded video off his cell phone showing flames eating through the roof and rapidly spreading.

Pike Road Volunteer Fire Department Chief Mike Green said two units from Pike Road, plus an additional unit from Montgomery responded to the blaze.

Chief Green says the fire started in an attached garage and is thought to have been started by a malfunctioning electric golf cart that was plugged into a charging station.

Fire crews were on the scene of the blaze by 11:12 a.m., Green said, but by the time they got there the blaze had spread from the garage to the attic. He said the house is a total loss.

One person was inside the home at the time of the fire, but was able to escape, WSFA 12 News has learned.

Copyright 2013 WSFA 12 News.  All rights reserved.