Tree falls on Newburgh house - WDAM-TV 7-News, Weather, Sports-Hattiesburg, MS

Family safe after tree falls onto their Newburgh home

NEWBURGH, IN (WFIE) -

A Newburgh family is safe Friday morning after a tree crashed through their roof.

It happened last night in the 300 block of Sycamore Street as the storm moved through their neighborhood.

Laurie and Neil Chase say they were watching TV with their daughter when the tree snapped and crashed through into their bedroom.

They were in the living room and made it safely out the door.

"The hole is almost over the bed so had anybody been in there sleeping like the wife at the time, because she usually goes to bed kind of early," said Neil Chase. "It probably would have startled her a lot."

The tree brought down some power lines and blew a transformer.

Vectren was called in for repairs.

Copyright 2013 WFIE. All rights reserved.

  • Local NewsLOCALMore>>

  • Dozier presented to key to the City of Hattiesburg

    Dozier presented to key to the City of Hattiesburg

  • Fire safety tips for Christmas season

    Fire safety tips for Christmas season

  • Fire safety tips for Christmas season

    Fire safety tips for Christmas season

    Thursday, December 14 2017 7:38 PM EST2017-12-15 00:38:32 GMT
    Photo credit: WDAMPhoto credit: WDAM

    Winter months are some of the busiest for firefighters, and not just because of the cold temperatures. “This time of the year, December, January and February, statistically nationwide we have more structure fires than any other point in the year,” said Hattiesburg Fire Marshal Stephen Mooney. In the recent weeks, Hattiesburg firefighters responded to five house fires, with the latest one on Monday, being caused by an extension cord. “Extension cords are a hug...

    More >>

    Winter months are some of the busiest for firefighters, and not just because of the cold temperatures. “This time of the year, December, January and February, statistically nationwide we have more structure fires than any other point in the year,” said Hattiesburg Fire Marshal Stephen Mooney. In the recent weeks, Hattiesburg firefighters responded to five house fires, with the latest one on Monday, being caused by an extension cord. “Extension cords are a hug...

    More >>
Powered by Frankly