Officials warn about space heaters in wake of recent house fire - WDAM - TV 7 - News, Weather and Sports

Officials warn about space heaters in wake of recent house fire

Posted: Updated:

As cooler temperatures roll in, space heaters roll out of storage; however, some of those space heaters come with dangerous and fatal repercussions.

A house belonging to a Walthall County couple burned down on Monday, claiming the life of an elderly woman. The fire broke out at around 1:30 am. When firefighters arrived, the home was engulfed in flames. The husband was able to escape the blaze and ran for help, but it was too late. His wife died.

The cause of the fire is due to a faulty space heater, according to Jones County Fire Coordinator, Dan McKenna.

"There are types of space heaters available," McKenna said.

"There are some with fuel, gas or either a liquid fuel. If you can stay away from those, you know you have a double hazard there you have the heat and you have the fuel."

FEMA reports that an estimate of 900 portable heater fires are reported to the U.S. Fire Departments each year, causing an estimate of 70 deaths. McKenna suggests keeping space heaters at least three feet away from clothing and bedding.

Copyright 2013 WDAM. All rights reserved.