The fire broke out at around 1:30 a.m. at the Tom Wood Road home of Nattie Smith, 79 and her 77-year-old husband.
When firefighters arrived the home was completely engulfed. Both of the Smith's were asleep at the time. Her husband was able to escape the blaze and ran to get help from relatives. By the time they returned it was too late to get her out of the home.
The deceased woman's niece says they believe the fire was caused by a faulty space heater. Smith's body has been sent to Jackson for an autopsy to determine the cause of death. Funeral arrangementS are incomplete.