Families want charges in fatal crash before Bonnaroo - WDAM-TV 7-News, Weather, Sports-Hattiesburg, MS

Families want charges in fatal crash before Bonnaroo

MURFREESBORO, TN (WSMV) -

Family and friends of a southeast Indiana couple who was killed in a fiery crash in Tennessee earlier this year want the driver who hit them charged criminally.

Brandon Wilson, of Lawrenceburg, IN, and Deja Morris, 25, of West Harrison, IN, died June 13 when a tractor-trailer plowed into the back of their car in a traffic jam along Interstate 24 near Murfreesboro.

The couple and five car-loads of friends were on their way to the Bonnaroo Music Festival in Manchester when the fatal crash happened.

The Tennessee Highway Patrol said eight vehicles were stopped or slowing in the roadway due to congestion ahead when a tractor-trailer, driven by Stacey Colvin, 40, of Kentucky, attempted to brake but could not stop in time and began colliding into the other vehicles.

Colvin received a citation from THP but was not charged after his toxicology test came back clean.

Now, the mothers of Wilson and Morris are forever connected - first by joy, and now by tragedy.

"We actually thought we would be meeting to plan a wedding, but the first time we met was to plan our children's funeral," said Wilson's mother, Hilda Wilson.

The families of Morris and Brandon Wilson traveled from Ohio and Indiana in hopes of getting justice. They held a news conference Monday in front of the Rutherford County Judicial Building to draw attention to the case.

"[Colvin] doesn't deserve to be out here driving and do this to another family. I wouldn't want another family to feel this heartache and pain," Hilda Wilson said.

"It was the exact definition of hell on earth," said Sue Morris, the mother of Deja Morris. "There were fires. There was gasoline on the highway, and there was broken glass all over the place."

The parents delivered petitions and met with Rutherford County District Attorney General Bill Whitesell, hoping to convince him to bring charges against the truck driver.

"It's not really OK to slap into parked cars and kill people and destroy people's lives," Sue Morris said. "You are responsible for your actions."

After meeting with Whitesell for more than an hour, family members said even though no promises were made about criminal charges being filed, they are remaining hopeful.

"He did say he would present it to the grand jury, which is going to be November or January," Sue Morris said.

The families have already filed a civil lawsuit against Colvin and the Kentucky trucking company for which he was driving at the time of the fatal crash.

Copyright 2013 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • Local NewsLOCALMore>>

  • Laurel police warn businesses of counterfeit money

    Laurel police warn businesses of counterfeit money

  • One person arrested, narcotics seized in "significant" Jones County drug trafficking bust

    One person arrested, narcotics seized in "significant" Jones County drug trafficking bust

    Wednesday, November 22 2017 2:45 PM EST2017-11-22 19:45:59 GMT
    Patrick Newell. SOURCE: JCSDPatrick Newell. SOURCE: JCSD
    The Jones County Sheriff's Department made a significant narcotics arrest and recovery in an ongoing investigation of a large drug trafficking organization.  Deputies arrested Jermaine Antonio "Tony" Newell on during a Nov. 15 traffic stop on Highway 28, just west of Soso. From the traffic stop and search of several residences, investigators recovered over two pounds of heroin, approximately 220 pounds of high-grade marijuana, over 100 ecstasy pills and other pill...More >>
    The Jones County Sheriff's Department made a significant narcotics arrest and recovery in an ongoing investigation of a large drug trafficking organization.  Deputies arrested Jermaine Antonio "Tony" Newell on during a Nov. 15 traffic stop on Highway 28, just west of Soso. From the traffic stop and search of several residences, investigators recovered over two pounds of heroin, approximately 220 pounds of high-grade marijuana, over 100 ecstasy pills and other pill...More >>
  • Appeals court affirms sentence of Hattiesburg man convicted of child sex crime

    Appeals court affirms sentence of Hattiesburg man convicted of child sex crime

    Wednesday, November 22 2017 2:19 PM EST2017-11-22 19:19:38 GMT
    Source: Raycom News NetworkSource: Raycom News Network
    A Hattiesburg man convicted of touching a child for lustful purposes must serve the remainder of his prison sentence after his denied motion for post-conviction release was affirmed by the Mississippi Court of Appeals. Thomas Holder pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 15 years in the custody of Mississippi Department of Corrections in 2016, but the entire sentence was suspended subject to Holder's good behavior and compliance with certain conditions. After Holder provided a false add...More >>
    A Hattiesburg man convicted of touching a child for lustful purposes must serve the remainder of his prison sentence after his denied motion for post-conviction release was affirmed by the Mississippi Court of Appeals. Thomas Holder pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 15 years in the custody of Mississippi Department of Corrections in 2016, but the entire sentence was suspended subject to Holder's good behavior and compliance with certain conditions. After Holder provided a false add...More >>
Powered by Frankly