HATTIESBURG, MS (WDAM) - The University of Southern Mississippi will see a 6.9 percent drop in enrollment in the fall of 2013, according to a release from the State Institutions of Higher Learning made available on Monday.
The drop amounts to 1,143 fewer students compared to fall 2012 numbers
"Across Mississippi's eight public universities, preliminary fall 2013 enrollment figures show an decrease of 506 students from fall 2012 numbers," read the release. "This is the first time in 20 years that overall enrollment has shown a decrease."
Hank M. Bounds, Commissioner of Higher Education, said the drop was attributable to changes in the Pell Grant program influencing student decisions.
- Alcorn State -23 -0.6%
- Delta State University 22 +0.5%
- Jackson State University 315 +3.6%
- Mississippi State University -204 -1.0%
- Mississippi University for Women -15 -0.6%
- Mississippi Valley State University -200 -8.1%
- University of Mississippi 758 +3.5%
- University of Southern Mississippi -1,143 -6.9%