Firefighters: Candle started blaze at Gulfport home - WDAM.COM - TV 7 - News, Weather and Sports

Firefighters: Candle started blaze at Gulfport home

Posted: Updated:
(Photo source: Gulfport Fire Dept.) (Photo source: Gulfport Fire Dept.)
GULFPORT, MS (WLOX) -

A candle left unattended is being blamed for a fire Friday evening in Gulfport.

It happened around 6:30pm at a home on Amtico Drive. When firefighters arrived, they found smoke throughout the house, and flames coming from the counter top in the kitchen. 

The crew of Engine 3 extinguished the growing fire, and soon discovered no one was at home. The burned area was contained to the kitchen, but there was smoke damage throughout the house. 

Neighbors were able to reach the homeowner who returned before the firefighters left.

Copyright 2013 WLOX. All rights reserved.