The final total for our telethon was $138,632 raised to aid in tornado disaster assistance!
To donate to the Red Cross Telethon:
- Text REDCROSS to 90999
- Phone: 1-800-RED-CROSS
- For a list of FEMA/MEMA Disaster Recovery Centers locations and hours of operation, visit www.msema.org.
- Donate by mail: http://www.redcross.org/images/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m10942433_Donate-by-Mail-Form.pdf
- If someone would like to help people affected by emergencies like the recent Mississippi storms, they can visit www.mississippi-redcross.org , call (1-800-733-2767)
- Disaster-affected residents may also visit one of the following locations TUESDAY, February 26 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. for one-on-one Red Cross casework services: First Trinity Baptist Church, 621 Mobile Street in Hattiesburg ---- Turtle Creek Mall in Hattiesburg
- Disaster-impacted residents may receive health services, emotional support and disaster relief items at the following Red Cross Service Delivery Sites TUESDAY, February 26 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.: University Baptist Church, 3200 Arlington Loop, Hattiesburg - - - 705 Quinn Street (in the Jaycees Park), Hattiesburg
- The following shelters are open: Forrest County 361 Shelter on Sullivan Road off Hwy. 49 South in Hattiesburg, Forrest County - - - Lamar County Community Center at 99 Central Industrial Road in Purvis, Lamar County
Red Cross health services and mental health workers continue to meet with families that have disaster-caused health and emotional needs. Red Cross is working with community partners and agencies to identify appropriate resources for any remaining emergency needs.
WDAM-TV and the Red Cross have partnered to host a telethon benefiting the Mississippi counties affected by the devastating February 10 tornado.
The Build This City: Red Cross Tornado Relief Telethon will begin Tuesday, February 26 at 5 a.m. during News 7 Sunrise on both WDAM ABC and WDAM NBC.
WDAM-TV will air donation updates at the top of each hour. The telethon will continue through all regular newscasts until 7 p.m. with special guest performances and interviews in every show.
The following damage totals were provided by MEMA:
Lamar: 134 homes destroyed, 169 homes major damage and 414 homes minor damage. Nine injuries.
Forrest: 192 homes destroyed, 338 homes major damage and 603 homes minor damage. 63 injuries.
Greene: Eight homes destroyed and two homes with minor damage.
Jones: 12 roads and three bridges with minor damage.
Marion: 12 homes destroyed, seven with major damage and six with minor damage. Three injuries.
Perry: Nine homes destroyed, three homes major damage and 37 with minor damage.
Wayne: 10 homes destroyed, eight homes with major damage and 22 with minor damage.