Brain-eating amoeba - WDAM.COM - TV 7 - News, Weather and Sports

Health

Microscopic killer in warm waters

  • Inside WDAM.comMore>>

  • Amoebas in tap water can be fatal

    Amoebas in tap water can lead to fatal infection

    The message couldn't be more clear: Unsterilized tap water can be deadly when used to flush out your sinuses. It was for two Louisiana residents, who died within months of each other. Both victims usedMore >>
    If you ever use a Neti-pot or sinus flush to clear out your nasal passage, be sure to follow instructions and avoid using water straight from the tap. Here's why.More >>
  • Beware brain-eating amoeba

    Stay safe from brain-eating amoeba

    A little boy, a young girl, and several others just wanted to go swimming in a lake, but they all ended up dead. The killer was an amoeba. While it is invisible to the eye, it is capable of destroyingMore >>
    A little boy, a young girl, and several others just wanted to go swimming in a lake, but they all ended up dead. The killer was an amoeba. While it is invisible to the eye, it is capable of destroying the brain within a matter of days. Each of their cases was both horrifying and tragic.More >>
  • Deadly bacteria in ocean water

    Warning about deadly bacteria found in ocean water

    It's become a routine -  a nurse coming to the house every day to check on Walt Hays and change out his bandages. Hays and his brothers recently took a fishing trip - something they do about three timesMore >>
    Here's a medical alert about a deadly bacteria found in ocean water. Here's how one man's tragedy might save your life.
    More >>

Christian Strickland was his step-father's best friend and his mother's heart.

"I miss him a lot. He made me a better person," said Amber Strickland.

The cycle of life came to a painful and sudden stop at just nine years old for Christian.

"That's the hardest part, to imagine that I could be alive for 50 more years and never see his face," said his mom.

He died one week after attending a fishing camp that took him on the James River.

Somehow, a microscopic and naturally occurring amoeba called Naeglaria Fowleri was forced up his nose and burrowed in his brain. He reported a headache on a Sunday and could barely get out of bed by Monday.

"I pulled him out of bed and he just melted onto the floor," said Amber.

At the hospital he was diagnosed with Meningoencephalitis. His brain was swelling. Video Amber has kept guarded until now from Christian's time in the hospital shows what this amoeba did to her son. On the home video, you can hear them talking.

Amber: "Christian look at me. Look at me!"

Christian: "I don't know where you are."

Amber: "You don't know who I am or where I am?"

Christian: "I see you."

"This is deadly; it's swift and not only that, the family that is standing there with every last ounce of hope they have, watching their child suffer until he dies," said Strickland while fighting back tears.

Within three days of arriving at the hospital, Christian was gone.

"He said, 'I love you' and I said, 'I love you too.' At the time I didn't appreciate that. You know, I mean I was hurting so badly, that I didn't appreciate, you know, that I got those last words from him. But I cherish them now," said Strickland.

Lurking in warm bodies of fresh water like the James River or Lake Anna, Naegleari Fowleri is almost always fatal. There's no cure, it's hard to diagnose, and it's extremely rare.

"We think this is really related to water temperature. So you see it in the Southern-tier states at the bottom of the U.S.," said Dr. Michael Beach with the Centers for Disease Control.

Last year, there were four deaths. Along with Christian, a 16-year-old died a week after swimming in a Florida river. Two adults in Louisiana died after using Neti pots filled with tap water.

Naegleria folweri has taken more than 120 lives since it was first discovered in the 1960s and yet little is known about the free-living amoebas. It thrives in warm stagnant waters and soil, usually popping up in the summer months

"It is a great mystery. We don't really understand why the very few people who are exposed and develop this illness. Why that happens," said Dr. Vincent Hill with the CDC. "We're trying to understand it better."

Last August, the Center's for Disease Control announced it was attempting to develop a test for quickly detecting the amoebas. The agency said it would ask Virginia for samples from several waterways, but so far that sampling has not been done.

A year later, the CDC is still perfecting the test.

"It's really trying to study the environment to see if we can improve our understanding of this organism. To say whether we can even make any better public health recommendations," said Hill.

Amber Strickland wants waters tested nationwide and signs put up if Naegleri is present so people can make their own decisions.

"It doesn't take much to protect your children. You know, it really doesn't. A nose plug," said Strickland.

She carries Christian's story on her back. Like most parents, before last summer she'd never heard of Naeglaria.

Swallowing this amoeba does not hurt you, it's only when it's forced up the nose and again, infections are extremely rare.

One of the world's leading experts on this amoeba is a VCU professor who has studied it for the past 30 years.

Copyright 2013 America Now. All rights reserved.