Saturday, May 18 2013 11:21 PM EDT2013-05-19 03:21:44 GMT
State Senator Chris McDaniel, who's been an outspoken critic of Obamacare, is reacting to the ongoing IRS scandal. He says an IRS official who once oversaw a unit which targeted Tea Party groups has noMore >>
State Senator Chris McDaniel, who's been an outspoken critic of Obamacare, is reacting to the ongoing IRS scandal.More >>
Saturday, May 18 2013 10:00 PM EDT2013-05-19 02:00:02 GMT
Observers are predicting a speedy confirmation to the federal bench for Jackson attorney Debra M. Brown. If confirmed, Brown would become the state's first black female district judge. Carl Tobias, aMore >>
Observers are predicting a speedy confirmation to the federal bench for Jackson attorney Debra M. Brown.More >>
Saturday, May 18 2013 11:25 PM EDT2013-05-19 03:25:19 GMT
Hundreds of students have received degrees from William Carey University during commencement ceremonies this weekend. Among them are four from China, who are the first to graduate as part of a recently-establishedMore >>
Hundreds of students have received degrees from William Carey University during commencement ceremonies this weekend.More >>
Wednesday, May 15 2013 10:08 AM EDT2013-05-15 14:08:44 GMT
ORLANDO (WFTV/CNN) – Hurricane season is almost here and the National Hurricane Center has released its annual list of storm names. The list alternates between boy and girl names. The list kicks off withMore >>
Hurricane season is almost here and the National Hurricane Center has released its annual list of storm names.More >>
Saturday, May 18 2013 10:08 PM EDT2013-05-19 02:08:12 GMT
Officials with the Jackson County Sheriff's department say the body of Timothy Gordon, Sr. was found just after 12 p.m. Saturday on the Escatawpa River. Friday evening around 5:30, Gordon and anotherMore >>
The search in Moss Point is over. The body of 55-year-old boater Timothy Gordon has been pulled from the Escatapwa River. Now investigators are saying marijuana may have been involved in the accident.
Downsizing, whether you're doing it voluntarily to simplify your life or if you are doing it out of economic necessity, can be like a giant game of Tetris. There are so many pieces, each with its own shape and dimensions, and they must somehow fit into a limited space, just so. If you are downsizing to a smaller home, this guide should help you to get started.
1. Measure twice, cut once. Before you do anything, measure the dimensions of your new house exactly. When you are approaching anything involving spacial arrangement, accurate measurements will be your absolute ally. If you are deciding what furniture to keep and what to give away, start by making an accurately scaled floor plan of your new home.
2. Go room by room. Looking at the process of downsizing to a new home can be so intimidating. Don't look at it as a whole; go room by room.
3. Pack and move only what you need and love. Parting with possessions can be very difficult. If you need to hire an expert to help you to move, then do it. Compassionate cleanout companies exist to help people move with less stress and difficulty.
4. Go vertical. When it's time to set up in your new house, plan to use as much vertical space as you can. That means installing book shelves, floating shelves, and utility shelves. You can store more than books on bookshelves, and if you have a large book collection, the books themselves can be arranged artfully in-lieu of wall art.
5. Use "stuff" as decor. For instance, in your bathroom, you probably won't have room for all your practical toiletries and supplies, as well as decorative items. Take a cue from spa bathrooms: Use your toiletries as decor items.
6. Use your full-size furniture. The name of the game in small-space living is ensuring that every single item in your house is fully functional and useful. While small apartment couches and arm chairs might allow you to have a "full" living room set in your smaller place, that full set of "apartment sized" furniture might not be as comfortable and as functional as a single full-size sofa. Also, one piece of large furniture can make a small space look cozy and defined, whereas a collection of small pieces of furniture can make the place look small and cluttered.
7. Give your small kitchen character. A small kitchen does not have to be a boring or unattractive kitchen. In fact, its diminutive size can be an asset. Like small bathrooms, a small kitchen can be a jewel box of a room. Just choose a theme or "look" for your kitchen, and tightly adhere to it.
8. Downsize your wardrobe. Typically clothes are stored in the bedroom. You want your bedroom to be as uncluttered and harmonious as possible. Downsizing your wardrobe is one of the most rewarding and satisfying decluttering tasks you can do. If you need to move to a smaller space with less storage, then downsize your wardrobe.