Jones County home a total loss after fire - WDAM - TV 7 - News, Weather and Sports

Jones County home a total loss after fire

Posted: Updated:
JONES COUNTY, MS (WDAM) -

A Friday morning fire near Ovett destroyed the home of Roger Wix and Kimberly Trichell and their six children.

Mrs. Trichell said she was in the living room of the home with her twins when she heard a popping noise coming from the kitchen. When she went to investigate she found flames shooting up from behind the stove. She quickly gathered up the twins and got out of the house unharmed.

Jones County Fire Investigator Scott Gable said the fire quickly spread to the attic and then throughout the rest of the home. Gable said the fire most likely was caused by an electrical problem with the outlet behind the stove.

Firefighters from Ovett were the first to arrive. They were joined by units from Union, Glade, and Powers. It took them about 45-minutes to get the blaze under control, but by that time the home was a total loss.

The American Red Cross from Laurel was at the scene to assess the families needs. The family will be staying with relatives for the time being.

Copyright 2013 WDAM. All rights reserved.