The National Weather service added the rarely used PDS wording to a tornado watch on Tuesday asking residents to be prepared for an extremely severe weather event.
The Particularly Dangerous Situation alert came as part of a tornado watch issued around 1 p.m. that included all Pine Belt counties scheduled to end at 8 p.m.
"Ingredients are coming together for some violent tornadoes to form through this afternoon," said WDAM Meteorologist Robert Whitehurst. "Please stay updated. This is a PDS, meaning Particularly Dangerous Situation. We don't issue too many of those and reserve those for the most significant severe weather outbreaks." Fewer than 3 percent of watches and warnings included the PDS wording from 1996 to 2005.
A strong line of thunderstorms is expected to enter the Pine Belt region of Mississippi around 2 p.m.
WDAM-TV is closely monitoring the situation and is prepared for constant coverage on air and online should the situation become dangerous.
To keep up with the weather online:
- On a desktop, laptop or tablet: www.wdam.com/weather
- On a cell phone www.wdamtogo.com
- Just radar on a regular cell phone: http://tinyurl.com/c6l7kna
- On an Android phone: http://tinyurl.com/74xh8dd
- On an iPhone: http://tinyurl.com/blknf2y
- On a Blackberry: http://tinyurl.com/cs5zltz
- Email: http://tinyurl.com/cw5vmxj
- Facebook alerts page: https://www.facebook.com/WDAMStorms
- Text message alerts: http://tinyurl.com/cw5vmxj
- All our weather Twitter accounts: https://twitter.com/wdam/wdam-weather
- Nick Ortego Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OrtegoNick
- Robert Whitehurst Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/RobertWX
- Nick Ortego Twitter: http://twitter.com/wdamnickortego
- Robert Whitehurst Twitter: http://twitter.com/WDAMRobertW
- Rex Thompson Twitter: http://twitter.com/WDAMRex
Only on a desktop, laptop, or tablet computer: