HATTIESBURG, MS (WDAM) - Scott Tyner pleaded not guilty to five counts of aggravated assault before Circuit Court Judge Bob Helfrich on Friday in Hattiesburg.
A trial date was set for March 19.
Tyner, 44, is accused of shooting five people at Cuco's Restaurant on April 2. All five victims were seriously wounded. Tyner made his first appearance on April 4 in Hattiesburg municipal court. Judge George Schmidt denied Tyner bond on all five counts.
Tyner's court-appointed attorney, Lin Carter, said he will file a motion with the circuit court for a psychiatric evaluation at the state hospital at Whitfield.
Witnesses to the shooting said the gunman began firing immediately after walking into the restaurant without saying a word or being provoked. Customers and employees scrambled for cover, turning over tables to hide behind and then the shooter left on foot.
Outside the courtroom in April, Tyner said he confessed to police. He explained he was "angry" and "drunk," and expressed regret over what he had done. He said he had been told that several of the people injured in the shooting were in critical condition, and he was happy that no one had died.
"We do not know what his motive was for the shooting," said Hattiesburg Police Department spokesman Lt. Eric Proulx. "One of the employees was able to keep him in sight and directed our officers to apprehend him."