Hattiesburg man indicted in restaurant shooting case - WDAM-TV 7-News, Weather, Sports-Hattiesburg, MS

Hattiesburg man indicted in restaurant shooting case

HATTIESBURG, MS (WDAM) -

A Hattiesburg man has been indicted by a grand jury for an April shooting spree at a Hattiesburg restaurant that wounded five people.

No trial date has been set.
 
Scott Tyner made his first appearance on April 4 in Hattiesburg municipal court. Judge George Schmidt denied Tyner bond on all five counts of aggravated assault.

Outside the courtroom, Tyner said he confessed to police. He explained he was "angry" and "drunk," and expressed regret over what he had done. He said he had been told that several of the people injured in the shooting were in critical condition, and he was happy that no one had died.

Judge Schmidt has ordered Tyner to a psychiatric evaluation prior to any preliminary hearings. Tyner does not have a lawyer.

Tyner is charged with the a shooting at Cucos restaurant in Hattiesburg where five people were seriously injured.

Tyner, 44, was five counts of aggravated assault after he allegedly walked into Cucos restaurant on Highway 49 and shot five people. Witnesses said the shooter began firing immediately after walking into the restaurant without saying a word or being provoked. Customers and employees scrambled for cover, turning over tables to hide behind, and then the shooter left on foot.

"We do not know what his motive was for the shooting," said Hattiesburg Police Department spokesman Lt. Eric Proulx. "One of the employees was able to keep him in sight and directed our officers to apprehend him."

Copyright 2012 WDAM. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Raycom Media. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.