HATTIESBURG, MS (WDAM) - At 2 p.m. Wednesday, Tropical Storm Isaac continued to hover over the Pine Belt region dumping large amounts of water and producing periodic tornadoes.
For the next 12 to 24 hours, the region will experience heavy rains and winds, flooding, and isolated tornadoes. Residents should expect similar conditions to persist into Thursday.
Isaac is a slow-moving storm, and it remained stationary overnight. Flood conditions are now beginning to appear throughout the area, causing dangerous road conditions. Five to 12 inches in rainfall is expected for most areas. At 1 p.m. Wednesday, as a 75 mph hurricane, Isaac began moving at 6 mph in a northwesterly direction past New Orleans.
Most of the Pine Belt is under a tropical storm warning and can expect winds of up to 40 mph until 10:30 p.m. Bands of wind moving at 20-40 mph are expected until 4:30 a.m. The storm is expected to begin to move away from the Pine Belt region at 7 p.m. and will be greatly diminished by Friday at 12 a.m.
Tornadoes have been spotted in Greene, Perry, Wayne, Forrest, and Pearl River counties.
With 80 mph winds, Hurricane Isaac has made landfall as a category 1 Hurricane in Louisiana on Tuesday afternoon. The eye of the storm hit land at Plaquemines Parish about 90 miles from New Orleans, but the storm quickly moved into open water once again and remained stationary until Wednesday afternoon.
Keep up with the weather:
• Get updates every 15 minutes on our Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/WDAMTV
• On a desktop, laptop or tablet: www.wdam.com/weather
• On a cell phone www.wdamtogo.com
• Just radar on a cell phone: http://goo.gl/PVgeV
• Our app for an Android phone: http://tinyurl.com/74xh8dd
• Our app for an iPhone: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wdam-7-hattiesburg-weather/id419352047?mt=8
• On a Blackberry: http://goo.gl/zosqc
• Updated here: http://www.wdam.com/story/14519814/pine-belt-school-closings
On a desktop, laptop, or tablet:
• WDAM Weather Central: http://www.wdam.com/weather
• WDAM Forecast Center: http://goo.gl/00bCK
• Interactive Radar: http://goo.gl/jL6UJ
• Hurricane Center: http://goo.gl/Mq1QV
• Severe Weather Center: http://goo.gl/IIbHB
• Live Alpha Skycams: http://goo.gl/9EBMz
• Send photos, see photos: http://tinyurl.com/8esq3zg
You can also hear WDAM on radio at 98.1.
This is a list of the current watches and warnings as of 1:11 p.m.
- Hurricane Warning
- Tropical Storm Warning
Covington , Forrest , George , Greene , Jefferson Davis , Jones , Lamar , Marion , Perry , Stone , Walthall
- Flood Warning
Forrest , Pearl River , Walthall
- Flash Flood Warning
Forrest , George , Greene , Lamar , Marion , Perry , Stone
- Tornado Watch
Covington , Forrest , George , Greene , Jefferson Davis , Jones , Lamar , Marion , Pearl River , Perry , Stone , Walthall , Wayne
- Tropical Storm Watch
Jasper , Simpson , Smith
- Flash Flood Watch