HATTIESBURG, MS (WDAM) - The Pine Belt will begin to feel the main effects of Hurricane Isaac in the early-morning hours around 1 a.m. Wednesday and continue to be hit by strong winds, heavy rainfall, and possible tornadoes into the noon hours on that day.
Although the storm did not strengthen as expected and seems to be moving west, severe weather conditions such as flooding and destructive winds are still likely for 24 to 48 hours depending on the final track. The Pine Belt region is forecasted to receive 3 to 7 inches of rainfall. Residents should expect power outages as well.
Highs will be in the lower 80s with heavy rainfall and frequent lightning strikes.
With 80 mph winds, Hurricane Isaac has made landfall in Louisiana. The eye of the storm hit land at Plaquemines Parish about 90 miles from New Orleans.
Isaac strengthened into a Category 1 hurricane with 75 mph winds on Tuesday morning. The U.S. National Hurricane Center said Tuesday that Isaac gained strength as it moved over the warm, open waters of the Gulf of Mexico. Isaac is expected to make landfall over southeastern Louisiana, possibly near New Orleans, or the mouth of the Mississippi river at Vermillion Bay.
The Pine Belt region is still within the circulation of the storm, and feeder bands of severe weather will begin to reach the Pine Belt before midnight.
Keep up with the weather:
• On a desktop, laptop or tablet: www.wdam.com/weather
• On a cell phone www.wdamtogo.com
• Just radar on a cell phone: http://goo.gl/PVgeV
• Our app for an Android phone: http://tinyurl.com/74xh8dd
• Our app for an iPhone: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wdam-7-hattiesburg-weather/id419352047?mt=8
• On a Blackberry: http://goo.gl/zosqc
• Our Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/WDAMTV
• Updated here: http://www.wdam.com/story/14519814/pine-belt-school-closings
Live Video of WDAM's Coverage
• On a computer: http://www.wdam.com/category/8389/01-news-page
On a desktop, laptop, or tablet:
• WDAM Weather Central: http://www.wdam.com/weather
• WDAM Forecast Center: http://goo.gl/00bCK
• Interactive Radar: http://goo.gl/jL6UJ
• Hurricane Center: http://goo.gl/Mq1QV
• Severe Weather Center: http://goo.gl/IIbHB
• Live Alpha Skycams: http://goo.gl/9EBMz
• Send photos, see photos: http://tinyurl.com/8esq3zg
You can also hear WDAM on radio at 98.1.