Laurel doctor injured in shoot-out with police posts bond - WDAM-TV 7-News, Weather, Sports-Hattiesburg, MS

Laurel doctor injured in shoot-out with police posts bond


A Laurel doctor who was wounded in a shoot-out with Jones County deputies is out of the hospital and jail.

Roger Meadows, 58, posted his $200,000 bond Monday afternoon shortly after his release from South Central Regional Medical Center where he was treated for a gunshot wound to the abdomen.

Meadows is charged with aggravated assault on a police officer, aggravated domestic violence, and possession of marijuana over an ounce. Meadows also faces federal charges for possession of bomb-making materials. That case is expected to be presented to a federal grand jury.

Authorities destroyed blasting caps along with other materials in a controlled explosion in a nearby field where the material were moved from the home of Meadows on Feb. 17.

Jones County authorities said they discovered suspicious items inside the home, and federal ATF agents said they believed the items to have been bomb-making components. Federal authorities have taken over the investigation.

Several agencies, including the ATF, the Biloxi Bomb Squad, Jones County deputies, and the MBI arrived on the scene on Feb. 17 and removed dozens of weapons along with ammunition from the home. Wednesday night, a domestic disturbance involving Meadows and his wife escalated into a shootout with Jones County deputies.

Deputies arrived at the home of Meadows after receiving a 911 call from a 12-year-old girl who said her parents were fighting at home Wednesday around midnight on Feb. 16.

According to Jones County Sheriff's Department Major Robbie Suber, when Jones County deputies arrived at John Griffith road in Laurel they were met by the 12-year-old girl and learned the situation was worse than a dispute.

"There were gun shots fired prior to our arrival at the scene," said Suber.

Meadows is a family practice doctor with an Immediate Care Clinic in Laurel.

"The deputies approached the door and they were met by Roger Meadows. He was brandishing a shot gun at the time. They gave several loud verbal commands for him to drop the weapon," said Suber.

Suber says Meadows didn't put down his gun, but turned it towards one deputy and threatened him.

"He turned the weapon on them. A deputy fired a single shot, which struck Mr. Meadows in the abdomen," said Suber.

Suber added after Meadows was shot there was a standoff. Meadows fell to the floor , grabbed a handgun and shot out of his house at deputies several times, but Suber said no one was hit.

"After a short standoff, Meadows was taken into custody without further incident. He was taken to South Central Regional Medical Center where he was treated for the gunshot wound. He went into surgery. He is in stable condition at this time," said Suber.

Suber says they have reason to believe Meadows was intoxicated, but they can not confirm it. The condition of his wife is unclear and under investigation. Suber said at the time her condition may have been due to an overdose.

@Copyright 2012 WDAM. All rights reserved.


Powered by Frankly