Homeless Purvis woman loses everything in fire - WDAM-TV 7-News, Weather, Sports-Hattiesburg, MS

Homeless Purvis woman loses everything in fire

Jennifer Murray at the site of the tent fire Jennifer Murray at the site of the tent fire
PURVIS, MS (WDAM) -

A homeless Purvis woman lost the tent she was living in and all her possessions in a Sunday afternoon fire.

The fire was discovered at around 2:30 p.m. A Purvis Police Officer and a member of the board of aldermen were able to put out the fire with a garden hose, but not before everything was completely destroyed.

Thirty-year-old Jennifer Murray had been living in the tent for the past two years. She had become homeless after becoming disable after a 2009 fire.

"My family has been there for me as much as they can, said Murray. "They can only do so much, they have kids and everything else."

Purvis Police Chief Richard Gibbs says the fire is under control and it's possible arson was involved. He said it is against the law to live in a tent in the city limits and the board of aldermen will make the determination on whether Murray will have to move.

The American Red Cross has stepped in to help Murray.

Copyright 2012 WDAM. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly