Ellisville family narrowly escapes morning fire - WDAM-TV 7-News, Weather, Sports-Hattiesburg, MS

Ellisville family narrowly escapes morning fire

A fire destroyed the Cassidy Westmoreland home on Ellisville Junction Rd. early Tuesday morning. A fire destroyed the Cassidy Westmoreland home on Ellisville Junction Rd. early Tuesday morning.
ELLISVILLE, MS (WDAM) -

An Ellisville family was lucky to escape injury when a Tuesday morning fire destroyed their mobile home. All five members of the Cassidy Westmoreland family survived a 1 a.m. blaze that gutted their home on Ellisville Junction Rd. 

But, many of their possessions were lost and they have no insurance. 

Homeowner Cassidy Westmoreland discovered the fire after he and his wife woke up to the smell of smoke and the sound of an alarm coming from a digital deep freezer.

"As it (the freezer) was getting hotter, the beeping got louder and it was an alarm on it, saying there was something wrong," said Westmoreland. "That's what my wife heard. She got my daughter and I got our two boys and we got out," Westmoreland said. "We were very fortunate to get out of this," he added.

"The most important thing is that they made it out alive," said Dan McKenna, Jones County fire coordinator. "They were within minutes of dying in this fire," he said. 

McKenna said the fire may have started because of an electrical problem.

If you'd like to help the Westmorelands, you can call either (601) 498-7630 or (601) 498-6710.     

Copyright 2012 WDAM. All rights reserved.

 

 

Powered by Frankly