Jones County officials say most winter fires started by space heaters

JONES COUNTY, MS (WDAM) - Jones County officials said Wednesday more people die from space heater related deaths in the winter than any other fire-related death.

Jones County Emergency Management Director Don McKinnon said residents need to start getting prepared for winter.

He said residents should have their homes checked before turning their heater on.

He said with temperatures dropping down in the 30s on Wednesday night residents should make sure all outside pipes are wrapped and plants and animals are brought in.

Meanwhile Jones County Fire Coordinator Dan McKenna is urging residents to be care how they choose to heat their homes.

He says 32 percent of the fires from space heaters cause 73 percent of the deaths in heated related types of fires.

McKenna said people fall asleep with space heaters improperly pulled in.

McKenna said space heaters need to be plugged directly into an outlet not extension cords.

Copyright 2011 WDAM. All rights reserved.