Water and sewer rates going up in Hattiesburg - WDAM-TV 7-News, Weather, Sports-Hattiesburg, MS

Water and sewer rates going up in Hattiesburg

HATTIESBURG, MS (WDAM) - The Hattiesburg City Council voted Tuesday evening to increase the water and sewer rates in the city.

Water rates will increase by 10% starting in November and will increase an additional 5% in October of next year for a  total of 15%. Sewer rates are currently billed at 80% of the water bill. That will increase to 90% in November and 100% in October 2012.

Council President Kim Bradley says the city has not seen an increase in two or three years and the city's pricing structure is one of the lowest in the state. He added that the increases will help pay for many upcoming infrastructure projects.

"The lagoon is part of our waste water program, but it's also the transmission lines. The sewer lines that are in our streets that we see the orange cones that are caving in, said Bradley. "The project is much bigger than the lagoon and we are steady on the lagoon project. It's other things too and we have to have the revenue for the infrastructure."

"The council also set a public hearing for 5:30 p.m. Monday at the Jackie Dole Sherrill Community Center to discuss implementing recycling in the city. Representatives from Waste Pro and Advantage Recycling of Sumrall will attend and give a presentation on how they jointly plan to bring recycling to Hattiesburg."

Copyright 2011 WDAM. All rights reserved.

 

  • Local NewsLOCALMore>>

  • Hattiesburg police respond to shooting

    Hattiesburg police respond to shooting

    Monday, April 23 2018 9:38 PM EDT2018-04-24 01:38:10 GMT
    HPD spokesman Ryan Moore said the shooting happened at the West Wind Apartments at 200 block of North 39th Avenue. (Photo source: WDAM)HPD spokesman Ryan Moore said the shooting happened at the West Wind Apartments at 200 block of North 39th Avenue. (Photo source: WDAM)
    HPD spokesman Ryan Moore said the shooting happened at the West Wind Apartments at 200 block of North 39th Avenue. (Photo source: WDAM)HPD spokesman Ryan Moore said the shooting happened at the West Wind Apartments at 200 block of North 39th Avenue. (Photo source: WDAM)

    Hattiesburg police officers responded to a shooting Monday evening. 

    More >>

    Hattiesburg police officers responded to a shooting Monday evening. 

    More >>
  • Suspect bites man helping a Lumberton officer during chase

    Suspect bites man helping a Lumberton officer during chase

    Monday, April 23 2018 7:14 PM EDT2018-04-23 23:14:33 GMT
    Jeameal Taylor. Source:  Lamar County Jail.Jeameal Taylor. Source: Lamar County Jail.

    A man jumping in to help a Lumberton Police Officer ended up with an injury of his own Monday. Lumberton Police Chief Carlus Page said an officer was dispatched in reference to a domestic incident just before 10 a.m. on Southern Street when the suspect, identified as Jeameal Taylor, starting running. Page said Taylor had knowledge he was wanted by the Mississippi Department of Corrections and "immediately took off running." A civilian, Joshua Root, saw the chase and assis...

    More >>

    A man jumping in to help a Lumberton Police Officer ended up with an injury of his own Monday. Lumberton Police Chief Carlus Page said an officer was dispatched in reference to a domestic incident just before 10 a.m. on Southern Street when the suspect, identified as Jeameal Taylor, starting running. Page said Taylor had knowledge he was wanted by the Mississippi Department of Corrections and "immediately took off running." A civilian, Joshua Root, saw the chase and assis...

    More >>
  • HPD searching for man who broke into church with a hatchet

    HPD searching for man who broke into church with a hatchet

    Monday, April 23 2018 6:44 PM EDT2018-04-23 22:44:58 GMT
    The man broke into the church on April 7, around 3:30 a.m. (Photo source: HPD)The man broke into the church on April 7, around 3:30 a.m. (Photo source: HPD)

    Hattiesburg police are searching for a man who broke into Hardy Street Baptist Church with a hatchet in early April. 

    More >>

    Hattiesburg police are searching for a man who broke into Hardy Street Baptist Church with a hatchet in early April. 

    More >>
Powered by Frankly