HATTIESBURG, MS (WDAM) - A second shooting victim has filed a multi-million dollar lawsuit against the owners of Remington's Hunt Club alleging the club failed to provide proper security to protects its patrons.
The suit, which seeks a trial by jury, is asking for $42 million in damages. According to the lawsuit, Remington's security officers failed to take any steps to exercise crowd control or close the parking lot, and that failure to provide a reasonable safe environment for their patrons contributed to Moffett's injuries.
Bobby Ray Moffett, 21, of Laurel was shot twice in the chest as he walked out of the nightclub in February. Moffett remains hospitalized in serious condition.
His alleged assailant, Ricky Dean, 26, of Laurel, turned himself in to Hattiesburg Police nearly two weeks later.
Winston Thompson of the Cochran Law Firm is representing both Moffett and former University of Southern Mississippi football player Martez Smith.
Smith is seeking $87 million as a result of a shooting at the club three months earlier that left him paralyzed and two other players wounded.
Remington's attorney Wayne Hynum of Hattiesburg said he hasn't seen the lawsuit but said Smith was not a patron at the club, and had been barred from entering because he was intoxicated.
Birmingham attorney J.D. Lawrence, who represents players Tim Green and Deddrick Jones, had no comment when asked if he plans to file suit on behalf of his clients.
Moffett's shooting, along with the wounding of the three football players, prompted authorities to temporarily close down theclub.
A court hearing is scheduled for March 28 to try and make the order permanent.