By Jeff Daley firstname.lastname@example.org
COVINGTON COUNTY, MS (WDAM) - More than two dozen families in Covington County have been unable to return home after they were evacuated Tuesday because of a natural gas leak at a storage facility near their homes.
Residents with-in a mile radius of the facility were evacuated by Covington County Emergency Management for precautionary measures.
The Pipeline is owned by Williams Gas. They have been working since Tuesday to correct the problem.
Friday night the company began a flaring operation at a secondary area at the facility to assist in burning off unwanted gas. The flaring does not include cavern 3 were the actual leak is located. Company officials say residents should not be concerned because the flaring is an additional safety precaution and will not impact private property.
Covington County Emergency management Director Greg Sanford says no timeline has been established for the evacuated residents to return to their homes, but says Williams Gas is doing everything they can to safely correct the problem as soon as possible.