HATTIESBURG, MS (WDAM) - Governor Haley Barbour will likely be required to appoint an individual to serve as the District 10 Place 1 Chancery Judge.
James H.C. Thomas, who passed away in early October, won the race by around 8,000 votes.
On the ballot, it appeared he ran unopposed, but there was a blank provided for write-in candidates.
Unofficial returns show that Thomas received 28,350 votes to a combined total of 20,475 for all write-in candidates. Forrest County was the only county where write ins had the majority.
- Forrest County: Thomas- 6,850 Write-in 8,315
- Lamar County: Thomas-8,780 Write-in - 4,893
- Marion County: Thomas- 3,603 Write-in - 3,050
- Pearl River County: Thomas- 7,540 Write-in - 3,046
- Perry County: Thomas- 1,577 Write-in - 1,171