JONES COUNTY, MS (WDAM) - Dozens of residents from one Jones County community were evacuated from their homes for about an hour Friday night, after a natural gas line was ruptured as some of the neighbors were setting a fire for a barbecue.
Authorities say more than 50 residents on Mandlay Drive in the Pendorff Community were evacuated after after a barbecue pit fire burned through a natural gas line.
The gas caught fire, but was quickly put out.
The evacuations were ordered until a crew could repair the line. A portion of Highway 11 was also closed for awhile.
No one was injured.