Residents evacuated after gas line ruptures

JONES COUNTY, MS (WDAM) - Dozens of residents from one Jones County community were evacuated from their homes for about an hour Friday night, after a natural gas line was ruptured as some of the neighbors were setting a fire for a barbecue.

Authorities say more than 50 residents on Mandlay Drive in the Pendorff Community were evacuated after after a barbecue pit fire burned through a natural gas line.

The gas caught fire, but was quickly put out.

The evacuations were ordered until a crew could repair the line.  A portion of Highway 11 was also closed for awhile.

No one was injured.

©2010 WDAM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.