The Following is a press release from the city of Hattiesburg, MS:
Halloween is right around the corner, and the City of Hattiesburg would like to remind citizens to stay safe this holiday. The City of Hattiesburg will be observing Halloween on Saturday, October 30, 2010. Trick-or-treating hours will be from 4p.m. to 6p.m. and pedestrians and drivers should take extra precautions when driving or walking throughout the city during this time.
Parents and trick-or-treaters, please follow these tips to ensure a safe and happy Halloween:
- Wear light-colored clothing that is short enough to prevent tripping, and add reflective tape to your costume.
- Make sure children can see well through facemasks or use make-up.
- Young children should always be accompanied by an adult.
- Go out during daylight hours and carry a flashlight if you think you may return after dark.
- Watch out for traffic especially on residential streets.
- Only give and accept wrapped or packaged treats.
- Be careful with costumed children around pets as they may not recognize the child and become frightened.
- Avoid hard plastic or wooden props, such as daggers or swords. Substitute soft, more flexible materials.
- Examine all candy before allowing children to eat it.