Hub woman benefits from housing program - WDAM-TV 7-News, Weather, Sports-Hattiesburg, MS

Hub woman benefits from housing program

HATTIESBURG, MS (WDAM) - A Hattiesburg woman who had lived in a dilapidated house has a new home tonight, thanks to a new partnership between the Hub City and the Salvation Army. Today, a ribbon was cut to officially welcome Alice Sanders back to her Ruby Street neighborhood.

She'll be living in a reconstructed home, built with federal dollars administered by the City of Hattiesburg and a grant from the Salvation Army. It's the first of 5 homes that will be built as part of Hattiesburg's Housing Reconstruction Program.

"Words can't express how I feel to have all these people and neighbors, my pastor, taking time to come up," said Sanders. "It's just so wonderful and I just thank God for them, because I know it was Him that's doing it," she said.

"It's funded 75 percent HUD (Housing and Urban Development) funding and then, the other 25 percent was funded through our partnership with the Salvation Army," said Franklyn Tate, Director of Federal and State Programs for the City of Hattiesburg. 

"This is the first opportunity that we've had to see this program come to fruition and again, we're really, really pleased with the outcome," Tate said. 

Reconstruction work on the program's next 2 houses is scheduled to begin within the next month.

©2010 WDAM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

 

  • Local NewsLOCALMore>>

  • Forrest County accepting bids for school safe rooms

    Forrest County accepting bids for school safe rooms

    Wednesday, July 18 2018 8:26 PM EDT2018-07-19 00:26:24 GMT
    Plans for a safe room/storm shelter. (Photo source: Forrest County Board)Plans for a safe room/storm shelter. (Photo source: Forrest County Board)
    Plans for a safe room/storm shelter. (Photo source: Forrest County Board)Plans for a safe room/storm shelter. (Photo source: Forrest County Board)
    Eight schools in the Forrest County Public School District have been given the go-ahead to accept bids to build safe rooms on school campuses around the county. The rooms are designed to withstand high winds in the event of a tornado and can protect all of the students and staff at any of the schools to prevent loss of life due to a severe weather event. The effort carries an approximate  $1 million price tag for each safe room, with 90 percent of it being paid by FEMA. &...More >>
    Eight schools in the Forrest County Public School District have been given the go-ahead to accept bids to build safe rooms on school campuses around the county. The rooms are designed to withstand high winds in the event of a tornado and can protect all of the students and staff at any of the schools to prevent loss of life due to a severe weather event. The effort carries an approximate  $1 million price tag for each safe room, with 90 percent of it being paid by FEMA. &...More >>
  • Family gives new details about Doby murder in Covington County

    Family gives new details about Doby murder in Covington County

    Wednesday, July 18 2018 8:03 PM EDT2018-07-19 00:03:36 GMT
    Jessie Lee Doby lived in the New Hope Community in north Covington County. Photo credit WDAM.Jessie Lee Doby lived in the New Hope Community in north Covington County. Photo credit WDAM.

    Loved ones of a murdered Covington County man are speaking out about his death and his life.   

    More >>

    Loved ones of a murdered Covington County man are speaking out about his death and his life.   

    More >>
  • Collins fire chief begins 4th term as head of state fire association

    Collins fire chief begins 4th term as head of state fire association

    Wednesday, July 18 2018 7:49 PM EDT2018-07-18 23:49:42 GMT
    John Pope, chief of the Collins Fire Department, has been elected to a fourth consecutive term as president of the Mississippi Firefighters Association. Photo credit WDAM.John Pope, chief of the Collins Fire Department, has been elected to a fourth consecutive term as president of the Mississippi Firefighters Association. Photo credit WDAM.
    John Pope, chief of the Collins Fire Department, has been elected to a fourth consecutive term as president of the Mississippi Firefighters Association. Photo credit WDAM.John Pope, chief of the Collins Fire Department, has been elected to a fourth consecutive term as president of the Mississippi Firefighters Association. Photo credit WDAM.

    The chief of the Collins Fire Department is beginning his fourth consecutive term as head of the Mississippi Firefighters Association.  

    More >>

    The chief of the Collins Fire Department is beginning his fourth consecutive term as head of the Mississippi Firefighters Association.  

    More >>
Powered by Frankly