HATTIESBURG, MS (The University of Southern Mississippi) -
University of Southern Mississippi President Martha Saunders honored current and former members of the university's faculty and staff and introduced the charter members of the Centennial Legacy Circle during the Centennial Convocation Tuesday on the Hattiesburg campus.
The Centennial Legacy Circle includes current and former members of the university's faculty and staff who have 40 or more years of service and dedication to Southern Miss. They include:
- Dr. Cecil Burge, vice president for research and economic development and professor of computer science and statistics
- Dr. Walter Cooper, professor emeritus for the School of Human Performance and Recreation;
- Dr. Terry Harper, former dean of the College of Liberal Arts and professor emeritus of history;
- Dr. Sherman Hong, professor emeritus of Music;
- William "Bud" Kirkpatrick, former director of the Office of Public Relations
- Dr. John Koeppel, former associate professor of psychology
- Anthony Lott, supervisor of electrical and mechanical systems for Physical Plant
- Dr. Aubrey K. Lucas, president emeritus and professor of higher education
- Dr. Kenneth McCarty, professor emeritus of history
- Dr. James McQuiston, former assistant professor of economics
- Dr. Frank Nagurney, professor emeritus of computer science
- Larry Nicholson, associate research scientist for Gulf Coast Research Laboratory
- Dr. Robin Overstreet, professor of coastal sciences at Gulf Coast Research Laboratory
- Harriet Perry, professor and director of the Center for Fisheries Research and Development
- Dr. George Pessoney, former professor of biology
- Larry Posey, supervisor of carpentry for Physical Plant
- Dr. William Scarborough, professor emeritus of history
- Dr. Clayton Sullivan, professor emeritus of philosophy and religion
- Dr. Shelby F. Thames, former president and distinguished research professor of polymer science
- Dr. David Wertz, former professor of chemistry
Other honorees and their award categories include:
- Faculty and Staff Service Awards
40 years: Cecil Dwight Burge; Howard Anthony Lott; Larry Nicholson; Robin Overstreet; Larry Posey
30 years: Teresa Loveless Allen; Angela Sue Ball; Lue Birdia Bell; Margaret Buttross-Brinegar; Carolyn Cawthon; Normia Washington Davis; James William Draughn; Olivia Farish; Harold Fruge; Rethea Funchess; John Harsh; Richard Heard; Eddie Holloway; Dolly Loyd; Frank R. Moore; Pamela G. Posey; Roderick Posey; Charles Tardy.
20 years: Linda Bass; Jill Brewington; Carol Lanell Bryant; Vivien Carver; Denise Casey; Virginia Crawford; Cynthia Curtis; Michele Daniels; Tommy G. Dye; Phillip Gentile; Kathanne W. Greene; Debbie Haskin; Jennifer N. Hatten; Ladonna Haynes; Roy Heidelburg; Alfreda Horton; Judy A. Kahler; Sara LeCroy; Scott McDowell; Dayonne McGuire; Alvin Lee Minton; Vijay Patel; Benjamin Seyfarth; William Watson; Ronnie Williamson.
10 years: Leanthony Adams, Heather Annulis; Desira Bailey; Nancy A. Bailey; Gina S. Barker; Mary Jane Barmettler; William Bodie; Stacy Breazeale; Tyia Brooks; Joseph Brumbeloe; Jana Bryant; Geary Burton; Daniel Capper Jr.; Douglas Chambers; Eric Dahlen; Anita Davis; Jennifer Downey; Sally Downey; Emily Dykes; Joseph Edmonson; Khaled El-Sawi; Shirley Ezell; Diane Fisher; Mary Flexter; Michael Funk; Cathy Gemmill; Tina Griffin; Ronald B. Groat; Shannon Haley-Mize; Dawn P. Higdon; Cindy A. Hodge; Susan Hrostowski; Shellie Hubbard; Charles Hughes Jr.; Holly Hulbert; Rodger Jackson; Conrad Johnson; April Jordan; Roger King; John Lansaw; Cindy Lowe; Carolyn Lowery; Joe Magee; Wanda Maulding; Dorothy Mobley; Peggy Price; Patricia Ready; Ralf Peter Riedel; Orlando Rodriguez; Kelly Rooney; Diane Ross; Kelly Samblis; Bobby Sledge; Gail Sledge; Donna Smith; Nancy Speed; Michael Strickland; Jennifer Torres; Marek Urban; Frederick Varnado; Sonya Varnell; Betty Williamson; Kenneth Zantow.
Staff Excellence Awards
Service Maintenance/Skilled/Technical: Jerry Wren, utility crew chief, Environmental Services; Mary Ann Griffin, custodial supervisor, Physical Plant.
Office Personnel: Amanda Nace, assistant to the director for the School of Mass Communication and Journalism.
Professional: Sharon Hughes, on-campus coordinator; Career Services
Jessie H. Morrison Award: Fran Jones, associate director for union and programs/Thad Cochran Center
Higher Education Appreciation Day – Working for Academic Excellence: Dr. Kathy Yadrick, chair and professor, Department of Nutrition and Food Systems
Faculty Excellence Awards
University Excellence in Teaching: Brigitte Burgess
University Excellence in Service: Mary Beth Applin
University Excellence in Librarianship: Tisha Zelner
Innovation and Research Awards
Basic Research Award: Dr. Mohamed O. Elasri, associate professor, Department of Biological Sciences
Applied Research Award: Dr. Carl P. Qualls, associate professor, Department of Biological Sciences
Creative Activities Award: Aimée T. Lee, instructor, Department of Biological Sciences
Lifetime Achievement Award: Dr. Gordon C. Cannon, professor, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
Academic Partnership Award: Dr. Jerome R. Kolbo, professor, School of Social Work