Fire damages suite in Southern Miss residence hall - WDAM-TV 7-News, Weather, Sports-Hattiesburg, MS

Fire damages suite in Southern Miss residence hall

Hattiesburg, MS (Submitted Reports) Multiple units of the Hattiesburg Fire Department along with campus police responded to an electrical fire in the Hillcrest Residence Hall tonight just after 7 p.m. on The University of Southern Mississippi campus. Residents were evacuated and no one was injured.

University Police Department officials say the fire, located in an unoccupied suite on the second floor in the center of the building, started in a combination fan/light fixture that shorted out. The fire was contained to the bathroom area, causing extensive wall and ceiling damage.  

About 200 residents were evacuated from the building and allowed to return shortly after 8 p.m.   Director of Residence Life Chris Crenshaw said electrical power to the affected area of the building has been disconnected while workers continue to evacuate smoke and assess the damage.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Raycom Media. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.