There are many options for school-age child care. Each offers advantages and disadvantages, and none is right for all children under all circumstances. Here are some things to watch for when choosing child care for your child. More >>
Too many of our young people are caught up in conflicts every day that they do not know how to manage -- teasing, jealousy, and physical aggression. Teaching youth how to manage conflict in a productive way can help reduce incidents of violent behavior. More >>
Like most parents, you probably have rules for how your children should deal with strangers, and how far from home they're allowed to travel. It's important to make similar rules for your children's Internet use and to be aware of their online activities. More >>
Sunday, September 14 2014 5:22 PM EDT2014-09-14 21:22:38 GMT
Wiggins Police Department is asking for the publics assistance in locating two suspects. The suspects are described as a black male and a black female. According to Wiggins Police Department, the suspectsMore >>
Wiggins Police Department is asking for the publics assistance in locating two suspects.More >>
Saturday, September 13 2014 5:00 PM EDT2014-09-13 21:00:01 GMT
A woman was killed in a one-car accident in North Laurel on Saturday morning. Police investigators said Kayla A. Miller, 23, was a passenger in a Honda Civic which drove off Parker Drive and hit a treeMore >>
Police investigators said Kayla A. Miller, 23, was a passenger in a Honda Civic which drove off Parker Drive and hit a tree about 3:30 a.m.More >>
Saturday, September 13 2014 10:37 PM EDT2014-09-14 02:37:59 GMT
Friends and family members of a Hattiesburg man who was found shot to death in a drainage ditch this week gathered at the site of his murder to remember him Saturday night. Dozens of people came to theMore >>
Dozens of people came to the Timberton Softball Complex to light candles and reflect on the life of 20-year-old Johnnie Cooper.More >>
Saturday, September 13 2014 1:41 PM EDT2014-09-13 17:41:36 GMT
Two Hattiesburg men have been arrested and charged with murder in connection with a Thursday homicide. Pedro Alvarez, 28, of Hattiesburg, and V'nell Miskell, 25, of Hattiesburg were taken into custodyMore >>
Two Hattiesburg men have been arrested and charged with murder in connection with a Thursday homicide.More >>
Each year, more than 200,000 children go to U.S. hospital emergency rooms with injuries associated with playground equipment. Most injuries occur when a child falls from the equipment onto the ground.
Use this simple checklist to help make sure your local community or school playground is a safe place to play.
Public Playground Safety Checklist
1. Make sure surfaces around playground equipment have at least 12 inches of wood chips, mulch, sand, or pea gravel, or are mats made of safety-tested rubber or rubber-like materials.
2. Check that protective surfacing extends at least 6 feet in all directions from play equipment. For swings, be sure surfacing extends, in back and front, twice the height of the suspending bar.
3. Make sure play structures more than 30 inches high are spaced at least 9 feet apart.
4. Check for dangerous hardware, like open "S" hooks or protruding bolt ends.
5. Make sure spaces that could trap children, such as openings in guardrails or between ladder rungs, measure less than 3.5 inches or more than 9 inches.
6. Check for sharp points or edges in equipment.
7. Look out for tripping hazards, like exposed concrete footings, tree stumps, and rocks.
8. Make sure elevated surfaces, like platforms and ramps, have guardrails to prevent falls.
9. Check playgrounds regularly to see that equipment and surfacing are in good condition.
10. Make sure children are supervised on playgrounds to make sure they're safe.
*DISCLAIMER*: The information contained in or provided through this site section is intended for general consumer understanding and education only and is not intended to be and is not a substitute for professional advice. Use of this site section and any information contained on or provided through this site section is at your own risk and any information contained on or provided through this site section is provided on an "as is" basis without any representations or warranties.
2362 U.S. Hwy 11
Moselle, MS 39459
1-800-844-WDAM (9326) Email Us