HATTIESBURG, MS (WDAM) -- The University of Southern Mississippi men’s tennis team got a little bit of drama mixed with some stellar effort in a 7-0 win over Jackson State University Saturday morning.
"It was good to start our 2019 season with our first win on the home courts," USM head men’s tennis coach Zubin Engineer said. "The team has a lot of character and energy.
“The goal was to trust the process that they have been working on throughout the fall. Our team will continue to grow and improve every day in practice."
This was the Golden Eagles' fifth season-opening win over the past six seasons. Each of the team's three doubles tandems were playing their first spring matches together. The Black and Gold collected sweeps in five of their singles series, including two 6-0 set wins.
USM remains at home Monday for a 2 p.m. match versus Alcorn State University.
SOUTHERN MISS 7, JACKSON STATE 0
- Tom Cecchetto/Chung-Han Tsai (USM) def. Andrey Alawi/Richy Gamo (JSU), 7-6
- Jorman Reyes/Ronit Bisht (USM) def. Tomas Torres/Lebelo Mosehle (JSU), 6-4
- Mieszko Kwasniewski/Teeradon Tortrakul (USM) def. Juan Soria/Fritz Jacobs (JSU), 6-1
- Tortrakul (USM) def. Alawai (JSU) 1-6, 6-2, 10-6
- Cecchetto (USM) def. Torres (JSU) 6-2, 7-5
- Bisht (USM) def. Mosehle (JSU) 6-0, 6-1
- Reyes (USM) def. Soria (JSU) 6-1, 6-3
- Tsai (USM) def. Gamo (JSU) 6-1, 6-3
- Panji Setiawan (USM) def. Jacobs (JSU) 6-2, 6-0